The awe of Autumn



I stepped into the meadow early this morning. My fluffy scarf was scrunched around my neck and my fly away hair wanted to feel the cool morning breeze for itself, from under my hat. The light was stirring. Magical. And the greeting of whinnies blowing warm air into the cold around us from my herd, was an affirmation to the senses. Autumn. You're here. My ponies coats are transforming to snuggly blankets. Mud has made its first appearance too. . . 

I'd forgotten the crunch of golden leaves, the warm sun, yet cold air, the hum in the breeze of eary darkness pending . . . I'd forgotten how it all feels so welcome. 

When you live closely connected to the earth and its seasons, witnessed closely from country life, you notice the wonder. You soak up the awe inspiring way nature runs everything like clock work. It is one thing in this world we can never control. It operates solely on its own. And I think there is something so beautiful in that - Something so deeply mysterious that we can never fully understand it. But we can learn from it . . . 

 In a world of fast paced, materialistic living and technology, we forget sometimes how very extraordinary existence is. This slow flow of seasonal days that carry us to the next, is full of experiences.  

If you trust in the awe of nature, it's not so scary to accept that maybe the control we wrestle with so much in our lives, is actually against our innate way of being. Maybe that's why we burn out after too long. Nature does not burn out. It is forever moving. The seasons are ever changing. Each leaf takes its time to fall, but still the outcome of Autumn is achieved. 

So,  I will collect the fallen conkers, gather twigs, and tidy the scattered leaves, admidst the tiny Hazelnut caps from the old meadow tree covering the ground. All the while taking a moment to trust in this season of letting go and settling in. For it truly is something special. Let's soak it all up why we can. 


Happy Autumn 

Comments

Popular Posts