Old fashioned girl in a very modern world ~

Megan Follows as Anne of Green Gables
 *

 Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I find myself quietly yearning for the time when gentleman stood up when a lady entered the room and please and thank you were spoken with sincerity and not to simply appear polite and courteous.. although people are so wonderfully able to express themselves now more than ever - it seems to me that somewhere along the line, the gentle intricacies of genuine kindness and open communication have been lost? 

Maybe I am being over sensitive but I cannot help but feel desperately hurt when someone takes their mood out on me and the way in which people can so forcefully criticize even the smallest of mannerisms you may have - 
There doesn't seem to be an understanding anymore of what is acceptable and what isn't? 
I very much believe people should listen to their inner voice and be true to themselves without judgement on any level - but I fear this can also mean that people can often forget how they may be affecting others in their pursuit to be 'right'?

Everyone wants to feel good about themselves inside and out, yet the
old fashioned values I admire so deeply in novels and stories seem so far away in the distance ...
People seem to be in such a rush to get to the next chapter of their life, particularly in the world of romance - there is no waiting - it's all hurried along and I am not sure I want to join the rush?
I am not entirely sure what I am trying to say...I think sometimes it just feels as though the quiet ideals that you keep to yourself may be thought of as 'twee' or 'old fashioned' - yet there must be a place for them somewhere? 

I am under no illusions of any kind that life is not without its deep and dark struggles - but then - even fairy tales have their twists and turns so why not try and implement the little precious things that inspire us in these old fashioned tales and bring them to everyday life....

So... send a lovely hand-made thank you card to a beloved friend - appreciate people for who they are and try not to crush them as you go through your day, and gentleman please kindly hold the doors open for us. Try to smile and not stare. Say kind things not coarse words. Express gratitude even for the little things and if someone lets you down, do not be cruel first and thoughtful later - give responses wisely and with tact - keep hold of your power and use it compassionately - for we're all doing the best we can with each little set back, heartbreak, struggle we're facing.
And those good old fashioned values may just make everything so much more bearable...if we do not lose ourselves or them to this very modern world.

*

Anne Hathaway - Becoming Jane
Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennett - Pride and Prejudice
*


With Love Xx

PS: Maybe I am just watching too many Jane Austen adaptations! ; )


Comments

Popular Posts